‘HOW TO MAKE A FISHING SET’
You Will Need:
Ten pieces of felt in mixed colours
Wooden dowel or sturdy twig about 40 cm/16 inch long
50 centimetres of Bakers twine or string
Embroidery thread to hand sew & Sewing Needle
How to Make:
1. Draw out simple sea creatures on paper to act as templates (these should be about 12 cm/ 4.5 inch tall). We chose a fish, turtle, seahorse, jellyfish and starfish.
2. Pin the templates to the felt and cut 20 shapes to create 10 sea creatures in different colours.
3. To make a jellyfish, cut strips of different colours of felt and glue them to the inside of the fabric. For the turtle, we cut a body shape from brown and a shell from green felt.
4. Pin and sew each pair together – as it is felt you don’t need to sew around the fiddly edges, just the main bulk of the shape. This can be done by hand or if an adult is helping with a sewing machine.
5. Glue a magnet to the top of each sea creature then add scraps of felt to the animals create faces and fins.
6. To make the fishing rod:
Tie the string around the edge of a magnet. You can add a little glue if you like to the knot to hold it loosely in place.
Cut two teardrop shapes out of felt, big enough to cover the magnet. Spread glue on one piece and attach the string and magnet, then glue on the top piece.
Take the dowelling and tie the string to the end. Add a blob of glue to make it secure then cut off the loose ends.
And that’s it -